Friday, June 10, 2011

A broken wing.

Quite possibly one of the most traumatic (in the moment) times of my life happened, and I will never forget the date, my 26th birthday. My little baby boy broke his left wing. :( He's now nicknamed the one arm bandit, has a whole slew of ambulance EMT friends, and is super good at doing things one handed!



It all started after my birthday dinner and cupcakes. My mom and I were finishing cleaning up the kitchen when I hear Adam hollering running with Wyatt in his arms yelling 'he fell off the trampoline, Amber his arm is broken'? Instant panic breaks loose as we can clearly see the damage in his bowed arm and pain on his face. I grabbed him and put ice on it as we decide to call 911, being that it was so displaced worry of shock and dislodging it more arose. After a painstakingly long 25 minutes, my boy and I were loaded into the back of the ambulance. He was so incredibly brave, never totally freaking out, handling it better than the average adult would, guaranteed.




It was pretty sweet to get to go on an ambulance ride. His 3 EMT friends, Rick - the driver, and Bonita & Ben took such good care of him. For a scary event and an immense amount of pain they made it a not so scary experience. Upon arrival at the hospital morphine (yes, I said morphine - which still bewilders me) was administered. The doctor reassured me that if his arm didn't 'look like that' it would be a different story but that we should make him comfortable. XRays followed which revealed he broke both his radius and ulna, the two bones in his forearm. Surgery followed the next morning. They called it a compound fracture and the muscles around the arm were very damaged but once they got the bones set and the cast on his pain was considerably less.

So now the boy dons a bright red cast (altough he asked for green, he never compained). He is not crazy about the whole signing it thing. He let a few people at first, but then he decided he was over it.

5 weeks - aka June 29th is the day he gets his cast off. Kids absolutely are amazing, he is acting like it is no big deal. He does most things with his right hand. He can't grasp anything with his left the way the cast is. He's been so resilient and hasn't complained one iota.

My mom emailed me later that week and copied a certain blog post regarding poison control, cutting hair, emergency rooms, - add broken bones to the list.

I felt horrible because I've never broken anything so I didn't know the pain he was experiencing. Any one of us would've done anything to take the pain from him!

I have so much gratitude towards my family who in the moment took Emmersyn and later came to pick us up at the hospital, I was so thankful they were there. Adam's mom found out and literally showed up 5 minutes later for support. And all of our family and friends for their concern, prayers, and words of kindness.

The EMT's - my new favorite people. In such a scary time, you don't know what is going to happen next. They were so reassuring, checking him the whole way there. They are such wonderful volunteers that take time out of their lives to enter ours in the not good times. They were our heros that night and I will forever be grateful!!

And above all GOD! I know he was watching over Wyatt that night. I know he was also holding our hands and keeping us calm. Watching an incident like that on TV about makes me pass out but not once did I falter, Adam and I worked together as a good team. We are so blessed.

All's well that ends well, definitely the theme here. A little extra spoiling and love, a few minor adjustments in things like bath time, and a little tough cookie = the road to recovery in no time!!



No comments:

Post a Comment